This blog is my attempt to document our busy but BLESSED lives raising and educating our children for His glory. A child of God, wife to one, and mom to 6 fabulous kids. We are in our 15th year of homeschooling using a Classical ~ Literature based approach.

Come along for the good, the bad & the ugly.



Thursday, November 3, 2011

TOS Review ~ Memoria Press – Classical Phonics

FSR

When I began researching for a phonics program early last Spring I ran across Memoria Press’s Classical Phonics program.  It looked amazing! I was sold on it at first sight, but then I began to read the reviews that fellow homeschoolers posted on a well known forum.  I quickly became discouraged and talked myself out of the whole Kindergarten program and choose another program.  What a HUGH mistake!  I am kicking myself for the time we lost.  By reading my review I hope you don’t make the same mistake I did.

When I saw this review pop up, I immediately sent a request to be considered for it.  We needed something quick because we were at a standstill in phonics/reading department.  What a blessing First Start Reading and Classical Phonics has been for us! I can now say that my Kindergartener can READ and in only a few short lessons of the First Start Reading program she was reading her first sentence, I am Sam.  Let me share her happy dance photos with you.

The First Start Reading Program takes on a traditional approach to teaching phonics and includes a Teacher’s Guide and 3 Student books, A,B, & C.  The Teacher’s Guide provides scripted lessons and is a great resource for helping with vowel sounds, b-d confusion, and pencil grip.

“First Start Reading covers consonants, short vowels, 45 common words, and manuscript printing, accompanied by artist-drawn coloring pictures and drawing pages for every letter. Your child will begin reading in the very first lesson as he progresses through three student books and twenty-five phonetic stories, such as "Hogs and Pigs" and "Jog to the Jet." A Teacher Manual guides you through the program and provides helpful assessments and teaching tips.“ ~ from the website

Nov. misc 006Nov. misc 008 

Each lesson covers the following categories:
~ Letter sounds
~ CVC Words (Common Word, which include sight words)
~ Reading skills such as beginning punctuation and plural sounds
~ Beginning Sentences

* After reading the sentence in lesson 8, Montana looked at me and said “ I AM NOT A MAN”!!! too cute

We also received a companion book called Classical Phonics.  This book actually works well with any phonics program as it introduces the letters and sounds and shows a corresponding picture. As your child gains letters and sounds, words begin to be listed on the page that correspond to the phonics rules.  This gem of a little book can be used from just beginning to read all the way through 2nd grade as it covers nearly all English phonograms.

ClassicalPhonics-Samplepage ClassicalPhonics-SilentLetterspage

I will sign praises to Memoria Press to all who will listen!  We LOVE there program and I have been recommending and sharing it with friends for the past few weeks whether or not they homeschool!  And my little girl can READ! Something she has wanted to do for so long.  Memoria Press offers a wide assortment of homeschool material from Latin, Greek, Literature, to whole grade level sets. They graciously offered some members of the Crew to review their First Form Latin while others received the Classical Phonics program.  Check out what my Crewmates thought about these programs, HERE.

MemoriaPressLogo

Company ~ Memoria Press

Product ~ First Start Reading with Teacher’s Guide and Classical Phonics

Price ~ FSR set with Teacher’s Guide $29.95, Classical Phonics $14.95

Ages ~ Beginning readers – 2nd grade

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received a copy of First Start Reading and Classical Phonics from Memoria Press, in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of cash for my reviews.  The opinions I have given are mine and may differ from others but are not influenced by the company or the free product provided.

blog comments powered by Disqus