This blog is my attempt to document our busy but BLESSED lives raising and educating our children for His glory. A child of God, wife to one, and mom to 6 fabulous kids. We are in our 15th year of homeschooling using a Classical ~ Literature based approach.

Come along for the good, the bad & the ugly.



Wednesday, March 30, 2011

TOS Review ~ Classical Academic Press, Latin for Children

header_bg

It was like Christmas in February when I found out I was selected to review Latin for Children, Primer A by Classical Academic Press! I’ve had my eye on this program for a few months and I was ecstatic when we were selected to review. I will sing praises to everyone who will listen about the Latin For Children program! Yes, it’s that great!!! There are so many adjectives to describe this Mastery bundle set, but I will just pick one, Amazing! latin_primerA

Latin for Children: Primer A  is the first book in the three year book series. This exciting program is designed for use with children as young as third grade. (I was able to use it with Mikayla, a 2nd grader this year and she just needed extra time to memorize). Your student will be introduced to Latin vocabulary, grammar and English derivatives in a fun and interactive manner. No previous Latin knowledge by the parent/teacher is necessary to give your children exposure to this wonderful, but often forgotten language of Latin.  

All 32 lessons in the Primer are recorded on DVD in 15 minute lesson segments.  The very relaxed and informative lessons are taught by Dr. Perrin who is also accompanied by some of his Latin students who sing and chant the weekly. The hardest part for me was choosing whether we would do the Classical or Ecclesiastical pronunciation.  Both of which are included in the book, CD, and DVD.

 

 

We received the mastery bundle of Latin for Children: Primer A which retails for $99.95 and designed for 3rd-6th graders contains the following items:

lfca_MED

•LFC Primer A student text and workbook ~ The foundation of the curriculum, everything you need to learn. 230 page, soft bound book.

Untitled-1

LFC Primer A Answer Key ~ includes the actual text with answers in bold 

•LFC A DVDs & Chant CD ~ includes chapter-by-chapter training by the author and a set of 5 children who sing the chants. The chant CD contains all 240 vocabulary words  in both the Classical & Ecclesiastical pronunciations.

•LFC A History Reader ~ A book of Latin stories from history using the grammar and vocabulary learned in the Primer.

•LFC A Activity Book! ~ Fun games and puzzles to do that help students master the Latin vocabulary and grammar from each Primer.

I used this program with Madison & Mikayla with Montana listening in. The first day we did Chapter 1 my girls had memorized the Chapter Maxium chant and couldn’t wait to get to gymnastics to tell it to their friend who also studies Latin. The great thing is that she knew what they had said and repeated it back! That really made the girls want to come home and learn more words!

The Classical Academic Press website has a wealth of free resources to compliment your lessons including worksheets, lesson ideas and articles. There is also a free website that helps keep Latin alive and fresh in their minds while playing fun games. I find myself having to set the timer so that each of the girls can play for at least 25 minutes. It is such a fun website! 

I have been wanting to implement a classical approach to homeschooling and this program has helped me to see that I can teach them Latin. I recommend this program hands down, 2 thumbs up! We are enjoying our study of Latin everyday, in a fun and exciting way! I plan on purchasing the Song School Latin for my Kindergartener for the upcoming school year and continuing with this program for my girls for many years to come.  Thank you Classical Academic Press for such an Awesome program!!!

Check out what my crewmates thought and by clicking here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and as such received a copy of Classical Academic Press, Latin Primer A mastery bundle  in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of cash for my reviews.  The opinions I have given are mine and may differ from others but are not influenced by the company or the free

blog comments powered by Disqus